Aged 5 - 11 years.
When children first join us, aged 4, initially they will spend the first couple of sessions learning to be part of a team. Children will learn the importance of the circle of attention and participating in drama games which unlock their imaginations and instil confidence. Once the children feel comfortable amongst their new peers; they will explore and create group work based on the following: -
- Story telling: bringing nursery rhymes and fairy tales to life
- Creating characters
- Movement and feelings
- Rapid reaction games
- Developing good coordination, balance and core stability
- Speaking and listening skills
- Confidence, concentration and communication skills
- Creating and imagining
- Role-play and improvisation
- Memorising lines
- Reciting poetry and short prose
- Exploration of plays and scripts
At the age of 6, children are able to sit the LAMDA Speech and Drama: Introductory Examinations: - Introductory Examinations: -
- Aged 6: Introductory - the learner will speak from memory a short poem from the LAMDA anthology and bring a favourite toy which the examiner will use to initiate a short conversation with the learner. Exam duration: 10 minutes.
- Aged 7: Preparatory - the learner will speak from memory a short poem from the LAMDA anthology and bring a picture, photograph or postcard, with which they are familiar, which the examiner will use to initiate a short conversation with the learner. Exam duration: 10 minutes.
From the ages of 8 onwards; the children work towards their Graded performces in acting. This is a formal qualification accredited by LAMDA and at Ursuline the grades run from Entry in Year 4 to Grade 2 in Year 6.